We have come to that time of the year again when our relatives and friends living abroad come home to visit. Some will bring their vehicles for ease of travelling from one place to another within Zimbabwe.

A visitor to Zimbabwe bringing in a foreign registered private vehicle may be issued with a Temporary Import Permit (TIP) by ZIMRA upon entry into Zimbabwe. This is in terms of Section 104 of the Customs and Excise General Regulations Statutory Instrument 154 of 2001.

Who is a visitor?

A visitor is any person who is not resident in Zimbabwe but travels to Zimbabwe for a period of time specified at the time of their arrival. This includes Zimbabweans working or living in other countries and with valid residence or work permits of those particular countries.

Types of vehicles eligible for Temporary Import Permit (TIP)


  • Passenger type motor vehicles commonly known as saloon cars or sedans and station wagon
  • Goods carrying motor- vehicles with a gross vehicle weight not exceeding five tonnes such as pick-ups and double cabs
  • Passenger carrying motor vehicles with a seating capacity not exceeding 15 people including the driver
  • Trailers and caravans pulled by the above vehicles


Please note that any other vehicles which do not fit the above descriptions, for example a passenger carrying vehicle with seating capacity exceeding 15 people, would require a Commercial Temporary Import Permit (CTIP) covered by a Commercial Vehicle Guarantee obtainable from a Zimbabwean registered clearing agent with the relevant bond.

Documentation to be produced


  • Valid passport of the driver.
  • Vehicle registration book in the name of the driver.
  • Letter of authority from the registered owner if vehicle is not owned by the driver.
  • Temporary exportation document processed by the Customs authorities in the country from where the visitor is coming.


What are the fees and charges payable?

Please note that there is no charge for issuance of a TIP. However, there are other incidental fees that are payable at the point of entry such as third party insurance, carbon tax and road access fees.

Carbon Tax is charged at USD10.00 each time the vehicle enters the country and for each subsequent month the vehicle stays in the country.

Third party insurance is payable at US$30 per month for small private vehicles.

Conditions governing TIP

  • The vehicle should be for the personal use of the visitor.
  • The visitor should undertake to remove the vehicle from Zimbabwe at the expiry of the TIP or at the time they leave Zimbabwe, whichever occurs first.
  • No visitor shall sell, offer, or display for sale, lease, hire, lend, pledge or dispose of the vehicle in any other manner to any resident of Zimbabwe or any other person without prior written authority of the Commissioner General of ZIMRA and payment of full duty applicable at the time the vehicle was imported into Zimbabwe.
  • In the event of the visitor seeking an extended stay, the TIP holder should approach the nearest ZIMRA office for extension of the TIP upon payment of carbon tax and insurance.
  • In the case of a breakdown or an accident, the holder of the TIP should report to the nearest ZIMRA office immediately

Points to note

Drivers of the foreign registered vehicles should read and understand the declaration and undertaking at the bottom of the TIP before signing it and ensure all details entered are true and correct.

Any breach of the conditions governing the temporary importation of visitors’ vehicles will result in the vehicle being confiscated (seized).

Beware of touts! Seek the assistance of ZIMRA officers at the points of entry.


This article was compiled by the Zimbabwe Revenue Authority for information purposes only. ZIMRA shall not accept responsibility for loss or damage arising from use of material in this article and no liability will attach to the Zimbabwe Revenue Authority.

Tune in to Radio Zimbabwe every Wednesday from 1900-2000 hours for a discussion on Tax and Customs matters.